WiFi configurationIf you haven't configured any wireless lan yet, your device is working in access point mode which means it has set up it's own wireless lan.
If you do not want to use any other WLan with your mobile or your computer this is just fine and you can leave it this way.
If, on the other hand, you already have an access point on your boat or are using the device at home, it is better to have the device run in "station mode" and connect to your home or boat WLan so you can access it without having to switch wlan connections all the time.
You can do so via the "wifi config" menu entry.
Updating the device firmwareThe device is capable of doing "over the air" firmware updates which means it can download and install new versions using the internet.
To do this, the device must be connected to a WLan with internet access. To trigger the update, just click on "online update".
Viewing live dataBy clicking on "dynamic values" you can display all the dynamic data (e.g. time, position, speed, depth) the device is currently capturing from your boat's N2K bus.
In this function, the display is rather simple. It is, however, a convenient means to view all the captured data in one place.
Gauge pagesThis function turns any device with a web browser (be it a computer, a tablet or a mobile phone) into a full-fledged boat data display.
You may configure up to 5 different pages, placing various gauges on them. The currently available gauges are:
- a compass
- a graphic wind indicator including textual wind speed display and showing either true or apparent wind
- a rudder indicator
- a text display capable of displaying any of the below data
- log speed
- wind direction
- wind speed
- course over ground
- speed over ground
- date, time or a combination of both
- latitude / longitude
By clicking the "edit gaugepage" menu entry, you may then edit the page and do the following:
- resize the cells by dragging the separator lines. (In the current version, the lines are not moved during the drag but only when you release the mouse button.)
- invoke a popup-menu by right-clicking rsp. long-tapping which offers these functions:
- split horizontally splits the current cell into two equal parts (side by side)
- split vertically splits the current cell into two equal parts (one above the other)
- delete deletes the current cell
- save all saves the current page to the logger's non volatile memory. Don't forget this!
- copy from copies the contents of the page selected in the combo box near the "copy from" menu entry into this page, replacing its current content.
- In every cell, the gauge type can be selected and its parameters can be edited. The parameters themselves should be self-explanatory.
When you change the gauge type using the "type:" - combobox, the parameter set associated with the new gauge type is displayed for editing and the old ones are discarded.
Downloading dataYour device's main purpose is to collect depth data to be uploaded to the open seamap web site. To do this, you have to follow this procedure:
- Download the data from your device to your computer. You may either download a raw, binary data file by selecting "download raw data" or have the device convert the data to NMEA0183
and download it by selecting "download NMEA 0183".
As of now, only the latter method is supported by the osm web site. We plan to change this in the near future.
- Upload the data file (currently only NMEA0183) to the osm web site using your browser
Erasing the deviceWhen you have successfully downloaded the collected data from your device to your computer, you should erase the device's memory.
Failure to do so will not prevent your device from logging further data since the devices memory is used in a "round robin" fashion, which means the oldest measurements will be overwritten with the newest ones. (The device is capable of storing approx. 2 weeks of data).
On the oher hand, not erasing the old data might confuse our server because you would upload your measurements to the server more than once. So please, once you have the data safely on your computer, erase the device.